Sunday, February 6, 2011

Disrespect

Lea Michelle did a lovely job with America the Beautiful before the Super Bowl. (Insert polite applause here.)

When I saw Christina Aguilera take the stage for the National Anthem I said (out loud), "OH, NO!" (And, yes, I did say it in all caps and bold.) I reacted that way because I've seen and heard Xtina "do" her version of OUR anthem before.

Turns out my fears were justified as she had a lyrics malfunction during what turned out to be the Star Mangled Banner.

Her stretching of single syllables into eight-note wails is ugly and does not enhance the song at all. Even worse, there is a whole generation of Xtina wannabees that do the same thing to OUR song at sporting events all over the country.

Regarding her lyric malfunction, I understand that people make mistakes, but I've got to believe that this was just a matter of not taking the time to prepare. And that is disrespectful.

Memo to all who perform the National Anthem:

1. This song belongs to the people of the USA.
2. As such, it is NOT your song, so you may not
   A. Change the lyrics
   B. Change the melody

Respectfully yours,
Michael Muckian

P.S. Ms. Aguilera, how would you feel if other performers took similar liberties with your songs?

No comments: