Wednesday, May 30, 2012

When in Rome...

The old saying is, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." I like to adhere to that philosophy when I travel. This past Memorial Day weekend, Terri, Luke and I were at a basketball tournament in Kenosha, Wisconsin. One restaurant I always enjoyed for good "road food" is the Brat Stop. Our hotel was less than a mile from the Brat Stop, so a meal there was a certainty.

After our Saturday dinner, we went to the souvenir / liquor / butcher / cheese shop in the same building. I saw a label next to the Schlitz beer that said, "Made with the original 1960s recipe" and instantly pictured the old Schlitz sign with the man with the flat-top crew cut that hung above the bar on the west side of Kedzie Avenue just north of 85th Street near where I grew up.

And, as we were in "America's Dairyland", we bought some cheese-- cheddar cheese curds to be precise.

Then we returned to our hotel to "do as the Romans do".

No comments: